Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Crisp Roasted Chicken

We eat a lot of chicken at our house.  I'd love to purchase only free range, grass fed, organic chicken; but they're a little too rich for my blood on a regular basis at around $5.00 per pound.  I have found a brand that I like though... the brand escapes me......  They are free range, grain fed (which means GMO corn), and no antibiotics.  I like all but the grain fed part, but I guess I'll take what I can get right now.  Anyway, I am sure everyone knows that when you purchase chicken it is much less expensive to purchase a whole chicken.  Not everyone knows how to cook 'em up though, so I thought I'd share an idea. 



In this photo you will also see couscous mixed with the veggies... I had it in the fridge and just needed to use it up.
  Crisp Roasted Chicken (in a bundt pan)
*Rinse your chicken thoroughly with water.
*Take out the bag of "goodies" in the chest cavity.  (Not everyone knows this is there...  I once baked the chicken without taking this out!  It made for a good laugh at the table, and luckily the bag wasn't plastic)
*Separate your chicken skin from the meat just enough to be able to season in between the skin and meat.
*Season your meat both under the skin and on top of the skin.  (I use a rub)
*Add a bit of fat to the outside of the chicken.  IE: melted butter, or olive oil. This will make it crisp nicely.
*Fill the cavity with veggies of your choice.  I've used potato, carrots, whole garlic, asparagus, and onion.  Chopped.
*Any veggies that won't fit inside can surround the chicken on the outside.  (please note that the steam from cooking veggies on the outside will compromise the crispiness of the chicken.) 
*Don't neglect salt and pepper for the veggies.
*Bake according to chicken package directions.  Usually 20min per pound at around 350 degrees. Always check for doneness with a meat thermometer!  Ovens usually vary.

Doesn't she look cozy.
Roasting away. 
What to do with that carcass, and left over bits of chicken?  Well, you can make a really awesome soup out of it.  I call it "chicken carcass soup", but friends tease me.. I guess any recipe with the word 'carcass' in the title doesn't really conjure up tasty images in the mind... But let me assure you, it is tasty!

Chicken Carcass Soup Adapted from a Jane Brody recipe.
2 Tbsp. minced onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tbsp. butter
1 C diced carrots
1/2 C diced celery
1/2 C chopped mushrooms
1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
7 C chicken stock (If you ever boil chicken, save the water and freeze for homemade stock)
1 tsp. marjoram (if you don't have this on hand, oregano is a fine substitute)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 C cooked barley
Diced meat from your leftover roasted chicken (clean the bones)
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf

*Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft.
*Add carrots, celery, and mushrooms.  Cook veggies 6 minutes.
*Add flour.
*Add stock, marjoram (or oregano), and other herbs.
*Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour.
*Add chicken.  Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your preference.
*Bring back to a boil.
*Sprinkle with fresh parsley to finish.

Yu   Um!

3 comments:

  1. I know that we think the carcas thing is funny, but when it comes to the soup, it totally is legit! I love that soup!! =)

    Thanks for sharing these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to say carcass to remind myself of what I'm really eating. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never would have thought to roast it in a bunt pan...nifty idea!

    ReplyDelete