Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

DIY Heaven!



I have a friend who turned me onto this blog that I  L.O.V.E.  It is called Knock Off Wood and it is a DIY blog with plans for Pottery Barnesque furniture for so much less that retail.  The catch is that you have to build it yourself.  HOW FUN!  My favorite part of this blog (besides the really detailed FREE plans) is the author.  She is this super cute gal up in Alaska with a husband with a really great name (Jacob).  I mean, she is a hottie!   It was just so encouraging to see a girl building REAL furniture that I decided that I could do it too!  (Everyone knows how I love a deal right?!)  So........ onto my first project.  :)

Small Collector Bookshelf
So, the first one I built with the hubs watching closely.  Giving me pointers, making sure I didn't cut off my arm with the chop saw, etc... Then, the next day while he was at work I did this:


1X4 Before cutting


Measuring 36" in (twice)


CHOPSAW! (Photo credit: My 4 year old) Very strange arm shot...

All pieces cut (2) 36" (2) 6"

Measuring to make curve in sides


My curve maker... A big empty bucket.
So far, so good.
BAND SAW!  (I'm not really great at this btw)
Use waste piece from first side to make 2nd side. Then cut like above.
Had to use some creativity to nail it all together.  Glue first, then nail.
Adding sides on.
Add guard to front.

Clamp it up until the glue sets up.
TA DA!  (Almost finished) Now, sand and paint.

Finished and hung.  I think they look nice!  What do you think?
Close up of Eva's
Close up of Gwyneth's and side view.
YAY ME!  :)

2 comments: